Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Magic of Small Moments


Wow, can't believe it's March 1st and it's been two months since I last posted over here. I've never been much of a blogger and most of the time I feel like I don't really have anything worthwhile to say. And, maybe that's the problem--not that I don't have anything important or worthwhile to say, but maybe I shouldn't be thinking of it that way.



Maybe I should just start writing about the little things, because most of the time, those little things really are what it's all about, aren't they? We always tend to wait for the big things, to measure success with those things we perceive as "important,"  or "worthwhile," but what about all those little in-between moments? If we are always casting off these moments as unimportant, always waiting for the next perceived "successful" event, we are never truly living in the present.


And besides, most of those moments we define as "successful," they are very fleeting, too. They don't usually last, so then we're back to waiting until that next elusive event to happen while letting all those wonderful little in-between things--like the sound of a baby laughing, the hug or smile of a child, or the visual beauty of a bird or flower--pass us by.

So, right now, I'm taking a deep breath and appreciating everything in my life; my friends, my family, my health, the roof over my head, books and cozy slippers--and instead of gripping about the cold outside, I think I'm going to go make myself a nice cup of hot chocolate, turn on the fireplace, wrap myself up in a warm blanket and watch yesterday's episode of Grimm.

Ah, just the thought of it makes me smile.

What about you? What small magical moments made you smile today?

6 comments:

  1. LOVE this post, Gisele! And I'm with you, it's noticing and appreciating the small moments that really bring joy to the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy writing haiku so much--it forces you to slow down and notice them. :)

      Delete
  2. YES YES YES to all of this. I'm trying to make more of an effort to notice the little things. I pay attention to them in my stories, so why not in real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Most of the time, it's something that has to be practiced in the beginning, but sooo worth it! :)

      Delete
  3. This post really hits home for me. Little moments of joy and wonder happen every day, but it's easy to miss them. And when we do, life begins to seem dull and uneventful, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

    When I have my lunch break at work, I have two options: I can eat in the break room, or I can go outside and eat in a little park behind the shopping center. Sometimes I decide that's it's too hot or too cold or I'm too tired to go to the park, and I sit in the break room and play on my phone, and that's ok. But other times I do make the effort to go outside, and even if I'm hot or cold or tired, it's always worth it. To listen to the birds, to watch the clouds, sometimes to feed the ground squirrels or just to walk around and enjoy the fresh air, always makes me feel calmer and more relaxed. It's just a little patch of desert with a few picnic tables, but when I take the time to stop and enjoy it -- to really see it and be in the moment there -- it makes my whole day better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Mary! It sounds like a little slice of heaven. :)

      Delete