Friday, November 22, 2013

A Few Suggestions to Help Writing Productivity and Confidence

Well, here we are, nearing the final week of November. How did THAT happen? lol Things have been going pretty well in the writing department. I've been working on a new novel and got in another 1000 words today which puts me over the 21,000 mark. And, I have to say that even though some days the challenge of putting words down is still really hard, overall, it does seem like it's getting a bit easier all the time.

Photo by @sgar212 at http://www.dotspin.com/photo/256979

I've thought about this for a while now, trying to figure what has made the difference in my attitude and writing processes, and so far I have attributed it to several different factors:

  • I've realized that even mega successful writers often deal with self-doubt and that contrary to what I used to believe, they are not all frenzied caffeine-addicted word-spewing machines. Really, I kid you not! Wild, eh? Yep, I am not the only writer who finds it a challenge to put words on the page every day. Who knew! ;) I'm also constantly reminding myself that first drafts don't need to be perfect. That's what editing and revisions are for. 
  • I've started using Scrivener and can't even imagine writing without it anymore. I believe that the ease of being able to switch scenes around at the click of a button is indispensable for non-linear writers like me. And the cork board feature? LOVE IT! There is SO much to love about this program, but a word of warning, there is a bit of a learning curve. If you can stick with it though, I think you'll find it's well, well worth it. I give it a huge two thumbs up.
  • I've also started using the pomodoro technique, and bought this nifty little productivity app called Tomatoes. It's a very simple process but I'm finding the results quite amazing so far. I set my Tomatoes timer for 15 minutes, write, then take a 5 minute break, and keep going. You can also set a longer break after you complete a certain number of pomodoro (pomodori?). For anyone that tends to get easily distracted, this technique is definitely worth a try.
  • And lastly, I've started listening to a few different writing podcasts which not only put me in the right frame of mind, but have given me great insights and knowledge into the world of writing and publishing. On my list are The Narrative Breakdown, hosted by James Monahan and Cheryl Klein, This Creative Life, hosted by Sara Zarr, and Writing Excuses, hosted by Mary Robinette Kowal, Brandon Sanderson, Howard Taylor, and Dan Wells. 
You can download all these podcasts through iTunes for free, too. 

What about you? Care to share any tips and suggestions that have helped you in your writing journey?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you about Scrivener. I can't imagine writing without. I love how it keeps everything in one place!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day! I appreciate the time it takes to leave one and always respond. :)